Looking for a simple bread recipe for beginners? Well, here’s the perfect recipe for a delicious, homemade loaf of goodness!
My family loves bread, but my oldest daughter has a severe allergy to a very common bread ingredient – sesame. Instead of scouring over ingredient labels at the grocery store, I decided to take the safe route and make my own homemade bread. I needed an easy recipe for rookies, that’s free of sesame and several other major allergens. Thankfully, I developed a recipe that’s safe for my daughter to eat and absolutely delicious!
This recipe is easy-to-follow, made with simple ingredients and makes a seriously tasty loaf of bread. This recipe can be used to make either white or whole wheat bread, depending on your preference. Plus, it’s free of several major allergens including sesame and tree nuts.
I hope you enjoy this easy recipe for the BEST loaf of homemade bread!
Simple Homemade Bread Recipe
- Large mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Cloth or towel
- 9″ x 5″ loaf pan
- Bread bag or bread box
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons pink Himalayan sea salt (fine ground)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
- 5 cups all-purpose white flour or bread flour (you can substitute white flour with whole wheat flour)
- butter or ghee
- Mix warm water and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the yeast to the mixture, stir, and let sit for 5 minutes until the mixture has a foamy texture.
- Mix the nutritional yeast, flaxseed meal, salt, and olive oil to the mixture and stir.
- Add one cup of the flour at a time and stir until well combined. Knead the last two cups of flour into the mixture.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes, then place the dough in a large bowl.
- Top the dough with a little olive oil and cover with a wet, warm cloth or towel.
- Allow the dough to rise for one hour (this is the first rise).
- After an hour, remove the cloth and punch the dough down into the bowl (this removes air bubbles). Then, knead the dough for another few minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased 9″ x 5″ loaf pan. Allow the dough to rise until it’s about 2 inches above the top of the pan (this is the second rise). Note: the dough can take anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours to fully rise. The dough will rise faster in at a warm temperature and takes longer to rise at higher elevations. I live in Denver at a high elevation, and it takes about 2 hours for the second rise. Just keep an eye on your dough and wait for it to rise two inches above the top of the pan, then it’s ready!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 35-38 minutes.
- Brush with butter, ghee or olive oil and enjoy!
Store in a bread bag or bread box for maximum freshness. I love these zero-waste, linen bread bags!